This past week I discovered that Northern Tier has openings this summer. So for fun I submitted an application for two crews going out of Ely, Minnesota.
You can find out more about Northern Tier here: http://www.ntier.org/TripPlanning/Ely.aspx
It is basically a 100 mile journey in canoes on the Boundary waters between the US and Canada. We would be two crews of 8 people each. We will have an interpreter with us the whole time.
The cost will be around $1900 (assuming we get 16 people) plus there will be personal gear that will be required, such as special boots that drain out water.
Requirements to attend:
• Minimum of 13 years of age by December 31st of the year you attend.
• Must be classified as a BSA swimmer.
• Must weigh at least 100 pounds and cannot weigh more than 295 pounds.
• Minimum of 6 and maximum of 8 people for a crew (Ely)
• Minimum of 2 adult leaders – 1 trained in CPR and Wilderness First Aid (All adults must have Youth Protection training.)
In order to keep the spots that are being held we must pay a non-refundable deposit of $1300 per crew. Before I commit the troop to doing this I would like to see how many people are willing to go and how many are willing to put up a non-refundable $200 deposit.
The summer Troop calendar is looking like this:
June 22 – July 1, Northern Tier 100 miler, 8 nights camping
July 13 – July 19, Summer Camp at Oljato, 6 nights
July 31 – August 8, Florida Sea Base, 8 nights
Please go here to put your name on the list: